Ancient legends

Saturday 3 August 2013

Rape threats, death threats and how twitter is a safe place for me

There has been a lot of publicity around twitter abuse recently so here's my take on it.

I've spent the last few years living that abuse off line.

I've had property damaged, threats to have my throat slit, a hammer swung at me and intimidating sexual advancements.

Just for being female.

Involving statutory agencies including police, council and anti violence charities has resulted in me being told I'm making a fuss over nothing, when the perpetrators already have previous convictions for violence and being told I have mental health issues.

Nothing has been done.

I come on twitter as it's safer for me on there than it is to leave my home.

There are women suffering physical assaults every day because we live in a culture of abuse, objectification of women and dehumanisation of people.

This abuse is not the sole responsibility of twitter, this abuse is prevalent every day in our communities, from the top to the bottom. From the privileged to the marginalised. Combatting this abuse by making twitter responsible for policing it is like putting a plaster on a gaping wound.

Tackle how abuse is tolerated off line in all communities, give those who are targeted the tools and resources and support to tackle it and charge those who commit offences.

I won't be boy-cotting twitter.

It is safer on here than having the threat to slash my throat carried out on my door step.

No comments: